Becoming a Muscatine Police Officer
The Muscatine Police Department seeks to hire persons of the highest quality who are able to responsibly execute the duties and responsibilities of Police Officer. The Department seeks to hire men and women who represent the community and are responsive to the changing needs of the community. The selection of police officers is guided by Chapter 400 (Civil Service) of the Code of Iowa and Iowa Administrative Code 501 which identifies the minimum requirements for Iowa Law Enforcement Officers.
IIowa Administrative Code 501 specifically identifies the Minimum Standards for Iowa Law Enforcement Officers. In particular, section 501 - 2.1(6) requires that candidates successfully complete a physical test adopted by the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy.
The standards required to be met for passing as determined by ILEA are available by contacting the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy or the City of Muscatine Human Resources Department. Some of the standards in part are:
- US Citizen and Iowa resident at the time of hire
- High School graduate or GED
- 18 Years of Age
- Valid Iowa driver's license at time of appointment
- Vision Corrected to 20/20
- Have normal hearing in each ear (hearing aids are acceptable if a candidate can demonstrate sufficient hearing proficiency to perform all necessary duties of a law enforcement officer).
The physical test (501 - 2.1(6)) currently mandated by the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy consists of:
- Sit and Reach (measures flexibility)
- Maximum sit ups (1-minute) - measures abdominal muscle endurance
- Maximum pushups (1-minute) - measures of upper body strength
- 1.5 mile run - measures cardio-vascular endurance
The current starting salary for a Muscatine Police Officer is $50,169.60. Effective July 1, 2012, the starting salary for a Muscatine Police Officer will be $52,873.60. Shift differential pay is provided for officers working second and third shifts. Officers receive step raises at 1, 2, 3 and 5 years and reach top pay at 8 years. The top salary at the end of the current fiscal year is $68,452.80. These amounts are $0.20 per hour for second shift and $0.30 per hour for third shift. Consistent with Iowa Code, all sworn members of the department are required to serve a probationary period of 9 months from the date of graduation from the academy, or if ILEA certified 9 months from the date of hire. In addition to salary, the City of Muscatine also provides a competitive benefits package.
The City of Muscatine will accept applications for Police Officer at any time. Persons wishing to receive an application may do so by contacting Human Resources at 563-264-1550 or may download the application (PDF). As directed by the Civil Service Commission for the City of Muscatine, openings for the position of Police Officer will be posted / published. The posting will include how and where to apply, a closing date for application, job requirements and duties. Applicants are not excluded from testing as result of minor errors in the application information. Once a testing date has been established, all applicants will be sent a recruitment packet upon receipt of the completed application form. The recruitment packet contains information related to the testing process including:
- application deadline
- written test location
- written test date and time
- physical agility test date and time
- physical agility test location
- description of physical agility test
- standards for physical agility test
- training tips for physical agility test
- other tests or documentation needed prior to appointment
The City of Muscatine is an Equal Opportunity Employer