About the Station
The City of Muscatine Transfer Station is the facility where garbage collection, and composting are managed. The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) monitor landfill and Transfer Station activity. The City of Muscatine abides by the guidelines and regulations set by DNR and EPA.
- Transfer Station - A 24,200-square-foot building used as a refuse dumping area, some recyclable sorting, and the loading of transfer semi-trailers.
- Administration Wing - A 10,500-square-foot building that contains management offices, a receptionist / scale operator, a shower room, locker rooms, a break room, tipping floor viewing room, and a public meeting room
- Equipment Garage - A 18,400-square-foot building that contains a heated truck wash bay, maintenance area, and heated storage for refuse collection trucks, transfer trailers / tractors, recycling trailers, and dumpsters
History of the Station
In December 1991, with the landfill near Stockton reaching maximum capacity and the passing of the Iowa Waste Volume Reduction and Recycling Act of 1989, the Muscatine City Council approved a recommendation to pursue the construction of a recycling center and transfer station at 1000 South Houser Street. Construction of a state-of-the-art complex began in July 1994. The official dedication ceremony was held October 28, 1995.