About the Station
The Transfer Station and Recycling Center is the facility from which city operations such as garbage collection, composting, and recycling are managed. The Department of Natural Resources and the Environmental Protection Agency monitor landfills and pollution of local cities and towns. Every city is required to abide by the guidelines that these entities lay out.
Transfer Station - A 24,200-square-foot building used as a refuse dumping area, some recyclable sorting, and for loading of transfer semi-trailers
Recycling Center - A 13,600-square-foot building used for receiving, sorting, bailing, and shipping of all recyclables that is operated by city Carton Recycling of Iowa city
Administration Wing - A 10,500-square-foot building that contains management offices, a receptionist / scale operator, a shower room, locker rooms, a break room, tipping floor viewing room, and a public meeting room
Equipment Garage - A 18,400-square-foot building that contains a heated truck wash bay, maintenance area, and heated storage for refuse collection trucks, transfer trailers / tractors, recycling trailers, and dumpsters
History of the Station
In December 1991, with the landfill near Stockton reaching maximum capacity and the passing of the Iowa Waste Volume Reduction and Recycling Act of 1989, the Muscatine City Council approved a recommendation to pursue the construction of a recycling center and transfer station at 1000 South Houser Street. Construction of a state-of-the-art complex began in July 1994. The official dedication ceremony was held October 28, 1995.