Curbside Bulk Collection
Scheduling Curbside Bulk Pickup
Curbside pickup of large items need to be scheduled by calling the Muscatine Transfer Station at 563.263.9689. A dedicated phone number and email address will be announced soon.
Curbside bulk pickup will be scheduled on the residents regularly refuse collection day. Please call by 3:30 p.m. at least two days before your collection day to make arrangements for pickup.
Items Allowed For Curbside Bulk Pickup
- Items such as large furniture, carpet, dismantled swing sets, and small amounts of building materials, extra bags of trash beyond the City of Muscatine issued carts.
- Small items such as household decorations should be bagged.
- Two appliances per year (washer, dryer, stove, refrigerator, microwave, or dishwasher) will be collected for free. Additional appliances will be collected once a fee is paid and the pickup scheduled.
- Piles of unwanted bulky waste should be no more than 10 feet long, four feet wide, and two feet high, or about the size of a pickup truck load.
- Mattresses that are set out for pickup are required to be placed in mattress bags that are available for free from the Transfer Station, at City Hall, or at the Public Works office.
Items Not Allowed For Curbside Bulk Pickup
- There are some items that may not be collected due to the nature of materials, such as drywall, flooring, fencing, camper refrigerators, and camper air conditioning units.
- Torn down buildings (such as garages),
- car bodies,
- large trees or stumps,
- concrete (can be dropped off for no cost at the Public Works Yard on Washington Street),
- paint and other hazardous chemicals (accepted at the Transfer Station at no cost year round),
- motor oil and antifreeze (accepted at the Transfer Station for no cost year round),
- car and/or light truck tires (maximum of 4) without rims (accepted at Transfer station for a fee),
- electronic waste items (maximum 3) (accepted at Transfer station for a fee),
- propane gas tanks.
Free Week For Tires & Electronics
A maximum of four (4) car and/or light truck tires (without rims) can be taken to the Muscatine Transfer Station for FREE during the week of May 11-16, 2020.
A maximum of three (3) electronic waste items can be taken to the Muscatine Transfer Station for FREE during the week of April 27-May 1, 2020.
Pre-Payment Before Curbside Pickup
Items that require a payment before curbside collection must be paid for and scheduled prior to the collection. Payments can be made at the Muscatine Transfer Station - 1000 S. Houser St., Muscatine City Hall - Finance office - 215 Sycamore Street, and Public Works - 1459 Washington Street.